Just like preventative maintenance on a car, regular wellness exams and vaccines help us prevent problems with your pets before they start. At every age of your pets life they require different vaccines and tests to make sure that they stay healthy and happy for as long as possible.
Puppies and Kittens
Puppies and kittens are brand new to the world, and as such, aren’t properly equipped to fight off infections on their own. That’s why they need multiple rounds of vaccines to make sure that their immune system grows up just as big and strong as they do. Your pet’s schedule might differ slightly based on how old they are when you adopt them and what vaccines they had before you got them, but here is a general outline of what they need:
- 6-9 Weeks Old- Distemper/Adenovirus/Parvovirus/Parainfluenza Vaccine, Bordetella Vaccine, Intestinal Parasite Test +/- Deworming
- ~12 Weeks Old- Distemper/Adenovirus/Parvovirus/Parainfluenza Booster, Leptosiprosis Vaccine, +/- Lyme Vaccine based on lifestyle, +/- second deworming
- ~15 Weeks Old- Distemper/Adenovirus/Parvovirus/Parainfluenza Booster, Leptospirosis Booster, Rabies Vaccine, +/- Lyme Booster, Intestinal Parasite Test
- 6-9 Weeks Old- Feline Leukemia/Feline AIDS test, Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis/Calicivirus/Panleukopenia Vaccine, Intestinal Parasite Test +/- Deworming
- ~12 Weeks Old- Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis/Calicivirus/Panleukopenia Booster, Feline Leukemia Vaccine, +/- second deworming
- ~15 Weeks Old- Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis/Calicivirus/Panleukopenia Booster, Feline Leukemia Booster, Rabies Vaccine, Recheck Intestinal Parasite Test
Adult Dogs and Cats
Adult dogs and cats need semi-annual to annual wellness exams to ensure that they remain in good health. At these exams we will examine:
- Eyes- For corneal lesions, problems with the lens or retina, dry eye, etc.
- Ears- For bacterial or yeast infections, ear mites, etc.
- Mouth- For tooth or gum disease, abscesses, tumors, or other dental disease
- Skin- For allergies, infections, tumors, or parasites like fleas, ticks, and mites
- Heart- For heart murmurs or arrhythmias that could point to underlying heart disease
- Lungs- For evidence of infection or inflammation
- Bones/Joints- For arthritis, hip dysplasia
- Overall body condition- an ideal weight is the easiest way to keep your pet healthy and happy!
Animals will also receive their annual vaccine boosters and intestinal parasite tests at these appointments. Dogs will also receive a 4DX test at this visit, which will test for heartworms as well as three tick-borne diseases (Lyme, Ehrlichia, and Anaplasma).
Subscribe to our newsletter
We send e-mails once a month, we never send Spam!